A revelation connects the previously separate areas of the town hall. The gallery and rooms of the State Archives were removed, the separation was reduced to one continuous layer, connected by two entrances and a panorama window. Two asymmetrical fixtures made of glass and metal were placed in the high-ceiled multifunctional area. The two elements, equipped as meeting rooms in the upper area, divide the space and its uses through their positioning.
In the old town of Schaffhausen, part of the historic town hall from 1394 is being rebuilt. The intervention pursues the exposure of the original wooden structure and is guided by its pristine use as a public multifunctional place and meeting point. The previous clear separation of politics, the public and tourism will be pried open. Borders dissolve, transparency arises. The connection and expansion of the town hall to a hub of different uses enables encounters and promotes synergies.
The multifunctional room is holds utility rooms of the cantonal government, information offered by Schaffhauserland Tourismus, the business development association SH Total and Blauburgunderland as well as the Schaffhauser Wein Branch association.
Location:Schaffhausen - Switzerland
Studio NameDost Architektur GmbH
Lead designerCarlos Linder
Design teamJulian Tschanen, Dominic Meister, Nico Ernst